Monday, November 12, 2012

And your life doesn't change by the man that's elected

Some people have inadvisably used their 1st Amendment rights share their thoughts regarding the election.  Hopefully my freedom of expression will not be as ignorant or incendiary.

The Avett Brothers have a song (or live w/poor audio) that says, "And your life doesn't change by the man that's elected."

Initially it seems platitudinous: government our elected officials and their policy clearly affect our everyday lives.  However, to me it rings true.

I aspire to be a follower of Christ.  As such, "...my life is hidden with Christ in God."  "Seeking first the kingdom of God," glorifying God, loving my neighbor, learning to truly be one of Jesus' brothers.  So regardless of who is elected, my purpose remains the same.

Of course, I may be glad if one candidate wins or a bit disappointed if another loses, but in the end it is inconsequential.  I will continue to try to deny myself and take up my cross daily, seeking to die to myself more with each dawn.

Yet there are things about the election that really do concern me.

I am far more concerned with both people and politicians (not to insinuate that politicians are inhuman) who manipulate what my Savior stands for, pushing people away from the Gospel.  The Gospel exists to bring people into communion with God.  (2 Cor 2:17).  Not for our personal gain or political convictions.  Not to overturn abortion legislature or pander to voters by flaunting religious rhetoric.  Not to push a political agenda with lots of social programs.  I understand there are Christians at all parts of the political spectrum.  I don't expect followers of Christ to agree on the role of the government.  I do expect Christ followers to agree on the Church's role to serve.  I do expect followers of Christ to agree that we personally need to be serving the poor, the outcast, the orphan and the downtrodden.  

I am far more concerned with fellow Americans exchanging ad hominem replete vitriol in political discourse, often with total strangers online.  With people dehumanizing the opposition in the safety of their own in crowd.  With two sides so acrimoniously entrenched in their agendas they put the ideologies of their party before the needs of the people.  Christians must be examples in speech, in conduct, and in love when discussing politics too.

I understand this election may have far reaching consequences.  The fiscal cliff. Unemployment.  Possibly 2 Supreme Court Justice appointments.  The role of the United States in a world vastly different than the one 30 years ago.

I've heard people start expressing how we need to trust in God only to concede that this election is different and America's future success hinges on it.  While such lofty assertions may be true, the bottom line is America's success is not my chief concern.  I am grateful for the opportunities my native country have afforded me.  I am proud to be an American.  But firstly I am a follower of Christ.  I am a sojourner, and no earthly place is truly my home.  My chief concern is glorifying God.  Not my own happiness.  Not money.  Not my reputation.  Not my possessions.  Not politics.  Jesus wants an undivided heart for Him.

So I strive to seek the things above, not the things of earth.  I am not perfect in this.  I stumble often.  I too worry.  But I must constantly surrender more of my life to God.

Questions?  Comments?  Rude remarks?

2 comments:

  1. Well thought through. Well supported. Well stated. ras

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. Allen told me to make sure I read this because you had such good thoughts. (Ergo, I'm commenting for the both of us.) We have so much respect for the man you've become and the direction you're headed.

    May grace and peace be multiplied to you, Michael, through the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord (2 Pet. 1:2).

    ReplyDelete