Monday, October 12, 2009

The Golden Rules/A very good place to start

These are the basic things that my blog will consist of:
  1. A weekly update (probably on Sunday or Monday) of things that I find important/humorous that happened to me in the past week.
  2. A clever title that will be a pathetic attempt at pun or allusion.
  3. Anything that I am perchance thinking of will be included that week, including things I have learned that I find important (from Church and such), or anything that is just on my mind (thus the title).
  4. I will never edit for grammar/spelling my posts, feel free to deal with it, or offer corrections as comments


So that's basically it. Now introductory information

  1. I am Michael Mayo, a freshman at UT Austin, taking 15 hours of classes, majoring in Bilingual Education
  2. I am participating in Bilingual HOSTS at Metz Elementary on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This is a largely program that offers one on one tutoring for students who are reading greatly behind their level. The bilingual just means their first language is Spanish, and they are learning English
  3. I have pledged a Christian fraternity, BYX, Beta Upsilon Chi (Brothers Under Christ) and am attending church at the Austin Stone (a truly brilliant church)
  4. I am playing IM Soccer and Football. My soccer team is 2-0, yet is not good (think bad news bears teams, with a few (in this case 4) skilled players, while the rest are largely inept), while my football team, with my fraternity pledge class, is 0-2 despite having promising skill/potential.
  5. I watch How I Met Your Mother, The Office, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and maybe 30 Rock. I try to not watch too much tv.
  6. I am a casual sports fan and play fantasy football.
Things that happened this week that I can remember:
  • Last week I was playing catch phrase with some floor friends and this word/hint happened:
    Word: Cervix (a boy had it)
    Hint: "I think it's a body part, but I don't think I have one..."
    He did not get it, but hilarity ensued once it buzzed and we looked at the word
  • I was doing my HOSTS, and my kid was trying to say, "a walrus has teeth," to practice the vocab word walrus. Well, in Spanish, there is no "th" sound, so he had trouble saying it, and when he generated his sentence it was pronounced, "a walrus has teats." Not to be outdone, he still had to write it. In Spanish, the long "e" sound is made by an "i." So the kid wrote, "a walrus has tits." I cracked up on the inside, and politely corrected him.
  • I chaperoned (that sounds weird) a middle school church retreat this weekend, so I got to go back to Plano. I thoroughly enjoyed the time seeing friends, getting a small taste of home, and talking to Austin Ball on the way there and back.
Other stuff:
  • My favorite worship songs right now are "How Great Thou Art" and "The Wonderful Cross"
Two brief rhymes I wrote (I hate seeing people react to things I write slash am very self conscious)
  • First is to tune of Dance anthem of the 80's by Regina Spektor during the part "I am walking/through the city/like a drunk, but not" see here circa 2:00 (the song its self is a happy sounding song about a sad theme)

    Lord I give you/All my worship/but it's not enough
    To rightly capture/all your mercy/and unending love
    'Cause it's your grace/like a river/ that sets us free
    Free from death/from sin's power/In you our vict'ry
  • Then just i don't know the magnitude of your sacrifice/so my attitude of gratitude can never suffice
  • Obviously themes of God being great, my inability to adequately give thanks for that.
Uh, well that's all for now.
Toodles

No comments:

Post a Comment