Monday, October 19, 2009

When the bee stings...

Warning: this blog is not particularly entertaining I think until the very end, so either read through the (maybe) drudgery until you get to the exciting stuff, or cheat, skip through 3/4 of my stuff and see the juicy end.

Things that happened to me this week
  • On Monday night I went up to Addison's room for a while with Kelly, Will, and Jeremy. We basically watched silly youtube videos for like two hours. One's worth watching if you haven't seen: puppy trying to get up, britney spears dancing kid (surprise at end), and of course, OU in a nutshell.
  • I thoroughly enjoyed my tuesday. thoroughly. Here's how it went: group study session for my UGS consumer finance (this unit) class, surprisingly productive/fun; cell group with some BYX guys, which is where you live life with other people, invest in their lives, accountability, etc. love it; all followed by late night laundry. I had to finish a small piece of math homework and check it with a friend who was doing laundry. This however was not 100% efficient: we sang our hearts out to classic disney songs such as: "I'll make a man out of you," "part of your world," and "I just can't wait to be king," among others. This was humorous because we were singing for like 15 minutes, and then a girl walked by from around the corner. We unknowingly serenaded her and in all likelihood filled her heart with joy.
  • On thursday, riding the bus home from Metz elementary, a man tried to help a sleeping woman out by waking her up to try to keep her from missing her stop. Indeed, she missed it, and then proceeded to take out her frustration on the man who was trying to help her. Humorous verbal sparring ensued. She got out at the next stop, and the man said of the overweight woman, "At least I don't have to wake up ugly every morning."
  • ¡¡OU weekend!! drove home, had f0ur BYX brothers stay at my house for the night. I didn't have a ticket to the game, so I got to spend the afternoon watching it with my family and Kelsey. Really enjoyed getting this opportunity and a little taste of home. Halo might not have, because she had to go in her cage twice as a result of me leaving food out in her reach. We won, ugly, but a win is a win. After the game and my friends got back, we headed over to another guy's house in grapevine. We saw Paranormal Activity, which is supposed to be like a blair witch project mockumentary scary movie. Pretty scary, but mostly self inflicted scaring yourself suspense, not can't sleep at night scary.
Things that crossed my mind this weekend
  • A Sam's Complaint: Sam's is a brilliant bulk store. However it has one shortcoming: those delicious frozen foods they sell (where you just microwave it for an easy meal) are DELICIOUS, but they only are big enough for multiple meals for a smallish child. For boys >13, it is only like two meals. Sam's needs to fix this problem
  • Funny Idea (maybe): I want to get decked out in golf gear: cleats, collared shirt, khakis, bag, glove, caddy....and go play a miniature golf course, filming it with commentary. Surely there would be enough comic gold for a good internet video of at least 60 seconds.
College pro's and cons
  • PROS: unlimited bathroom breaks, comfy chairs for the most part, non-compulsory attendance, use of laptops
  • Cons: no kleenex (extreme con), longer class periods require longer attention span
Spiritual Observation #1: I was listening to the song Amazing Love (You are my King), and realized that sometimes Jesus is the king of my life, but often times, I choose to be the king of my life. This needs to be progressively changed.

Spiritual Observation #2: I've heard the "you know how your earthly father loves you, so how much more must you're perfect heavenly father love you" thing from Jesus before, but have never really thought about just how much that means, because I have a really good earthly father.

Juicy Stuff:
You may or may not know it, but I am terrified of flying, stinging objects (bees, wasps, hornets, from least to greatest fear). This dates back to when I was a tyke, and a nurse was giving me a shot and said, "It'll hurt no more than a bee sting." I had never been stung by a bee, and this shot HURT. Thus, later in life, when confronted with these colorful buzzing insect in the future, I did a little dance and waved my hands around in rough circles while fleeing the scene of the insect. David does roughly the same, anyone who went to New Orleans with us a few years ago can attest to this. (Once while cooking eggs when we were home alone, a wasp got in the house; we got the can of wasp spray and gunned it down from across the kitchen, sacrificing our cooking meal).

Anyways, I managed to go exactly 18.5 years without being stung by any of these. Until today. Due to the beautiful weather outside, two of my friends and I decided to play outside. The frisbee flew into the shrubbery, and we had to go scrounge around for it. I heard buzzing in my ears, and three of my favorite flying buddies were hovering right by me. Greatly motivated to look harder and faster, I found the frisbee and got out of there.

When I was up unlocking my dorm door, I felt a stabbing pain in the side of my ribs. It persisted, so I went to investigate...and before I pulled my shirt up, a yellow and black drone was chillin' on the waistline of my jeans. Party foul. I didn't bother killing it and left it do die while I ate dinner. (I returned armed with a shirt to beat the bee to death should it still be up and kicking. Alas, is has probably died (it's body has not been found)).

In a nut shell
-Bees: not to bad
-Wasps/Hornets: still terified

Closing remarks
-Why is it that if you call something "the shit" it is awesome, but not so with "the crap"
-Just what makes bees' knees cool?
Some entomologist made a scale that rated the pain of insect stings and provided funny definitions (i found this after looking up bees, wasps, and hornets on wikipedia). Here it is.

  • 1.0 Sweat bee: Light, ephemeral, almost fruity. A tiny spark has singed a single hair on your arm.
  • 1.2 Fire ant: Sharp, sudden, mildly alarming. Like walking across a shag carpet & reaching for the light switch.
  • 1.8 Bullhorn acacia ant: A rare, piercing, elevated sort of pain. Someone has fired a staple into your cheek.
  • 2.0 Bald-faced hornet: Rich, hearty, slightly crunchy. Similar to getting your hand mashed in a revolving door.
  • 2.0 Yellowjacket: Hot and smoky, almost irreverent. Imagine W. C. Fields extinguishing a cigar on your tongue.
  • 2.x Honey bee and European hornet: Like a matchhead that flips off and burns on your skin.
  • 3.0 Red harvester ant: Bold and unrelenting. Somebody is using a drill to excavate your ingrown toenail.
  • 3.0 Paper wasp: Caustic & burning. Distinctly bitter aftertaste. Like spilling a beaker of hydrochloric acid on a paper cut.
  • 4.0 Pepsis wasp: Blinding, fierce, shockingly electric. A running hair drier has been dropped into your bubble bath.
  • 4.0+ Bullet ant: Pure, intense, brilliant pain. Like fire-walking over flaming charcoal with a 3-inch rusty nail in your heel
side note: the picture of the bullet ant looks terrifying

Toodles

No comments:

Post a Comment